The Tower stands on the Piazza del Duomo and was built in Gothic style between 1530 and 1534, for a cost of 50 lire.
Originally the building ended with a spire crowning. In 1706 it was restored and in 1860 it was modified to its current appearance.
In reality, a public clock in Pietrasanta already existed in the 14th century and was first placed on the Rocca Arrighina, then on the old bell tower of the Cathedral and finally in the current tower. The ancient clock mechanism had only the hour hand and was equipped with a bronze bell. The current bell is the work of the founder Raffaello Magni of San Quirico di Valleriana and dates back to 1860. It can still be heard today every 30 minutes to signal the passing of the hours and half hours.